The water in your well must be clean and safe to drink if you want it to provide you with a healthy supply of drinking water. If the water in your well is not safe to drink, you will need to disinfect the well, which can be accomplished via chlorination.
How chlorination works
Chlorination is a process of adding chlorine to your well water in order to disinfect it and make it safe to drink. Chlorine is a powerful disinfectant that can kill harmful bacteria and viruses that may be present in water. When chlorine is added to water, it forms a chemical called hypochlorous acid, which is very effective at killing bacteria and viruses.
When we disinfect your well via chlorination, we will temporarily add a large amount of chlorine to your well— up to 400 times the concentration found in municipal water supplies. This will kill off any bacteria or microorganisms that might’ve been living in your well. We will momentarily hold this hyper-chlorinated water in the pipes of your well system, then entirely flush the system out, before finally re-filling it with potable water.
When to get your well disinfected
If you notice a sudden change in your water quality, it’s important to have your well tested and disinfected as soon as possible. Other signs that you may need to disinfect your well include:
- Muddy or cloudy water
- Water that smells bad or tastes strange
- Water that contains sediment or particles
If you’re not sure whether your water quality has changed, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and get your well tested. A qualified professional can test your water for bacteria and other contaminants, and recommend the best course of action.
In the Capital District, Goold Wells & Pumps is the name to know for top-quality well disinfecting and other well services. Our family-owned company has been in business since 1928, and we’ll always provide you with craftsmanship and customer service of the absolute highest caliber.